Tuesday, March 13, 2012

GF Gouda, Avocado & Raspberry Jam Grilled Cheese

Here's what's funny!  Or strange I guess.  I am a major baker, I can make wedding cakes and amazing cookies!  But I do not know how to make a simple grilled cheese.  And as I write this I am ashamed to admit this!  But I have had this great article from Real Simple Magazine on Grilled Cheeses With A Twist and blogged about it yesterday.  The article gave 3 or 4 alternative ways to twist the grilled cheese and give it some pizazz!  So today, while injured and on crutches I decided to venture on this Grilled Cheese adventure.  I was chatting with my friend Meredith and she said, "Wait you don't know how to make a grilled cheese? It's so easy"!.  I know!  In college I learned how to make pasta (long story) and now at 35 I am teaching myself how to make a simple grilled cheese.  And even weirder? My mother was an amazing cook and baker!  Clearly I only chose to learn the baking route and missed everything else...cooking was in the ear and out the other...

This makes me look really bad, I know...here I am posting these amazing recipes, which I follow easily.  Anything complicated is so up my alley, but I always left the easy stuff-I guess it was not a challenge for me.  I'm the one that always has the parties with great apps and dishes that I always make!  Yet a simple grilled cheese baffles me.

Now, I didn't have many of the ingredients the article asked for so I opened my fridge, and figured I will make my own concoction.  I grabbed a few things.  The article called for fig jam but I only had raspberry, it asked for avocado which I had and Cheddar cheese which I didn't-I went the Gouda route. Now I took an element from each recipe in Real Simple and combined them into one.  I have every pan under the sun, but had to ask Meredith which pan to use.  Oye!  So I broke out my smoked Gouda cheese, avocado and raspberry jam.  I added two tablespoons of unsalted butter to the pan and began.  I guess I left the butter too long because it got brown very quickly, so i threw (gently) the grilled cheese in the pan hoping for the best.  I used GF bread from Katz-the Whole Grain kind which came from the freezer so I first defrosted it (it was a little hard, but the grill pan took care of that), and in the middle added the slices of cheese, avocado and 1 tbsp. jam.  I think I added too much cheese, bc it didn't really melt.  Oh well!  Trial and error.  Ha ha.

Fugly amazing GF Grilled Cheese Sandwich

But let me tell you!  It was the most amazing grilled cheese I have ever tasted!  And by far the ugliest!! The fugliest! Ever!  See pic below.  I guess the moral of the story is A.  I need to learn the simple things and B. Don't judge a book by its cover!  Oh and C.  It's never too late to learn or teach yourself something new!



That creation was damn good!  I was so proud!  Delicious!

Enjoy! xoxo Julie

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Gouda raspberry grilled cheese, so I imagine your creation would be amazing as well. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts my Lovelies! I want to hear from YOU! xx