Skip to main content

Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette

**found in Feb. 2002, Gourmet Magazine

Serves 4.  Active time: 30 minutes.  Start to finish: 30 minutes

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Salad:
1 pink or red grapefruit
1 white grapefruit
1/4 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted and any loose skins rubbed off
1 tbsp unsalted butter (or vegan butter to make dairy free and vegan)
2 firm ripe avocados
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 lb large shrimp about 8-10 shelled and deveined
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups baby spinach (2 oz)
1/4 cup trimmed sprouts (preferably radish)

Instructions in Vinaigrette:
Whisk together ingredients with salt and pepper to taste

Instructions on Salad:
Cut, peel, including all white pith from fruit with a sharp paring knife and cut segments free from membranes.

Halve enough grapefruit segments to measure 1 1/2 cups (reserve any remaining segments for another use)

Coarsely chop hazelnuts.  Melt butter in a 12 inch non stick skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook hazelnuts with salt and pepper to taste, stirring until a shade darker, about 5 minutes. Transfer nuts to paper towels to cool, reserving skillet.

Quarter avocados lengthwise, then pit and peel.  Cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices.  Drizzle with lime juice and season with salt and pepper.

Pat shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper.  heat oil skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.  Then saute shrimp, turning them until golden and just cooked through, about 3 minutes.

Toss together spinach, half of grapefruit segments, and half of vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange avocados and remaining grapefruit on 4 plates and top with shrimp, salad, and sprouts.  Spoon remaining vinaigrette over salad and sprinkle with nuts.

enjoy!!

xoxo Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel...

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com  

The Original Fudgsicle Mishap

                             My Grocery Cart About 3 months ago I was in the market as usual,  doing my weekly grocery shopping, in the second to last row: the freezer section.  I wanted my weekly fudge pop indulgence.  I grabbed the package in the backity back!! The most frozen one I could find, and decided to blog this wonderful gluten free treat.  I realized I had never blogged about this fudge pop being gluten-free, and how silly of me to keep this tid bit to myself.  So I grabbed my phone to take a picture of the front and back of the box.  I gasped! omg, omg, omg.  I starred at the ingredients.  MALT FLOUR.  Yikes!  No way!  It can't be.  How come I never noticed this before?  Did the ingredients change?  Was it always like this?  Something had to have changed and then to top it off I noticed at the bottom of the ingredient...