Skip to main content

Wake Up Your Breakfast with These Healthy Combo's

**found in Feb. 2012 InStyle Magazine

For us Celiac's we have to get a bit creative in the kitchen to create some of the old flavors we all miss so much.  That's ok, we can do it!  Mostly from trial and error or helpful tips we can all conquer those who think that eating Gluten-Free is a death sentence.  Quite the contrary! Sometimes just using a little bit of mother nature can spice or sweet up our meal.

Exotic spices first thing in the morning?  Yes! says Lior LevSercarz.  Here's how to do it!!:

Eggs:
Add nutty, herbal and tart notes to an omelet with za'atar ($3/.8 oz., penzeys.com), a Middle Eastern spice mixture that consists of dried thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds.  Give your eggs a few shakes of the mix while cooking and when they are done, sprinkle more on top.

GF Oatmeal:
Dried long peppers, commonly used in Malaysia and Indonesia, impart a floral, vanilla flavor and a touch of heat.  Grate and sprinkle some over piping-hot cereal/oatmeal along with whatever fruit you've got on hand-with strawberries, says Sercarz, it's perfectly dreamy.

Yogurt: (make sure its gf!! Like Stonyfield or Fage)
Combine Greek yogurt with a shake of cinnamon, chopped candied ginger, honey, fresh fruit and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.  "The seeds bring a wonderful nutty flavor and texture to the creamy yogurt," he says.  Drizzle with orange-blossom water for a floral finish.

Enjoy these tips and why not create some of your own!!  If you do, don't forget to tell me what they were and how they tasted!! 

Enjoy! xoxo Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel...

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com  

The Original Fudgsicle Mishap

                             My Grocery Cart About 3 months ago I was in the market as usual,  doing my weekly grocery shopping, in the second to last row: the freezer section.  I wanted my weekly fudge pop indulgence.  I grabbed the package in the backity back!! The most frozen one I could find, and decided to blog this wonderful gluten free treat.  I realized I had never blogged about this fudge pop being gluten-free, and how silly of me to keep this tid bit to myself.  So I grabbed my phone to take a picture of the front and back of the box.  I gasped! omg, omg, omg.  I starred at the ingredients.  MALT FLOUR.  Yikes!  No way!  It can't be.  How come I never noticed this before?  Did the ingredients change?  Was it always like this?  Something had to have changed and then to top it off I noticed at the bottom of the ingredient...