Skip to main content

Feeling Good. Naturally. Fruit-astic!

Did you know you could be missing out on a host of benefits, from cancer-fighting agents to improved cardiovascular health?  A recent French study discovered that a diet rich in fruit might even help preserve your memory as you age.  Plus, the more varied your diet, the more likely you are to get all the vitamins, essential minerals and phytonutrients you need.  Below a guide to expanding your fruit palate.

IF YOU LIKE APPLES...

Similar Nutrition: Papaya
A medium papaya has even more fiber then a medium apple-enough to satisfy about 20 percent of your daily adequate intake.  Add papaya to a salad with sliced jicama, cucumber, lime juice, chili powder, and salt.
Similar Taste: Quince
This relative of the apple is denser and more tart.  To soften and sweeten, David Lebovitz, author of Ready For Dessert, poaches 8 quince with 7 cups water, 1/2 cup honey, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and 1 vanilla bean (15-25 minutes).

IF YOU LIKE BANANAS...

Similar Nutrition: Kiwi
Kiwis are another good source of potassium.  But that's not all: they're among the top five most nutrient-dense fruits.  Garnish fish or chicken with a kiwi-papaya-mango salsa.
Similar Taste: Plantain
"Plantains are like a cross between a banana and a yam," says Rachel Saunders, founder of the artisanal jam company Blue Chair Fruit.  Try using the fruit, baked or sautéed, as a side to spicy dishes.

IF YOU LIKE WATERMELON...

Similar Nutrition: Guava
Guava and watermelon are both rich in lycopene, the red pigment that's linked to a lower risk of cancer and heart disease.  Enjoy guava on its own (seeds and all), or toss it into a seafood salad or a smoothie.
Similar Taste: Asian Pear
Asian Pears have a moist, crisp consistency resembling that of watermelon.  Julienned slices add a mild sweetness to watercress or spinach salad, and a lightness to chicken-Cheddar panini.

IF YOU LIKE ORANGES...

Similar Nutrition:  Star Fruit
The mildly sweet and slightly acidic star fruit offers a healthy dose of vitamin C (1/2 cup provides about 25 percent of your daily allowance), as well as choline, for healthy cells.  It also makes a pretty addition to fruit salad.
Similar Taste:  Kumquat
Saunders says kumquats are "like oranges with a little bite".  Gently roll the fruit with your fingers to release the skin's sweet essential oils; then pop the orb into your mouth whole.

Enjoy! xoxo Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel...

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com  

The Original Fudgsicle Mishap

                             My Grocery Cart About 3 months ago I was in the market as usual,  doing my weekly grocery shopping, in the second to last row: the freezer section.  I wanted my weekly fudge pop indulgence.  I grabbed the package in the backity back!! The most frozen one I could find, and decided to blog this wonderful gluten free treat.  I realized I had never blogged about this fudge pop being gluten-free, and how silly of me to keep this tid bit to myself.  So I grabbed my phone to take a picture of the front and back of the box.  I gasped! omg, omg, omg.  I starred at the ingredients.  MALT FLOUR.  Yikes!  No way!  It can't be.  How come I never noticed this before?  Did the ingredients change?  Was it always like this?  Something had to have changed and then to top it off I noticed at the bottom of the ingredient...