Skip to main content

Healthy Ways To Make Your Smoothie Thicker



                                     **Butternut Squash picture is from Popsugar


The whole point of a smoothie is the thickness.  Am I right? or Am I right?

It's not a juice.  It's a smoothie.

And further more…a Smoothie bowl is also meant to be thick so it has the consistency of ice cream or fro yo!

But what happens when you don't feel like using a frozen bananas or a chunks of avocado to thicken it up?

You are left with runny soup that tastes like fruit.  So.  Not.  Appealing.

So I did some detective work.  I went through tons of recipes.  I asked around.  I experimented.  I shopped the market and came up with clever ideas.  I went to the experts.

And then I came up with this list.  I can't take all the credit!  I had some help from my fellow health coach friends on their fav's too!

A smoothie is a work of art.  And it takes skill to make it right.  Sometimes throwing something in and seeing how it turns out can actually turn into a smoothie disaster, so it's important to do the research first.  So I did the research for you.  Now go and make your dream smoothie!!

So without further adieu…26 ways...

Here are some really fun, innovative and healthy ways to thicken up your awesome smoothie!


  1. Steamed Cauliflower (You can use a lot here, because steamed Cauliflower is tasteless)
  2. Frozen Banana (1/2, 1 or even 2)
  3. Frozen fruit ( 1/2 cup or 1 cup blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, pineapple, cranberries, strawberries, cherries)
  4. Nuts (Just a handful cashews, Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamias, peanuts)
  5. Nut Butters (1-2 Tbsp. cashew butter, almond butter, walnut butter, macadamia butter, peanut butter)
  6. Seeds (1-2 Tbsp. or a handful flax, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia)
  7. Seed Butters (1-2 Tbsp. sunflower seed butter, almond butter, cashew butter, pumpkin butter, hemp butter)
  8. Flax egg (water and flax mixed together and letting it sit till it gets gel like)
  9. Chia egg (water and chia mixed together and letting it sit till it gets gel like)
  10. Avocado (will only need 1/3 to 1/2 a whole avo for thickness)
  11. Pumpkin Puree (1/2 cup or 2/3 cup)
  12. Baked Sweet potato (couple of chunks)
  13. cooked zucchini (1/4 or 1/2)
  14. Protein powders ( 1 scoop rice protein, pea protein, hemp protein)
  15. Applesauce (a few Tbsp.)
  16. Greek yogurt (just a tablespoon or two)
  17. Coconut yogurt (a few Tbsp.)
  18. Soy or Almond Yogurt (a few Tbsp.)
  19. Goat Milk Yogurt (a few Tbsp) 
  20. Oatmeal (up to 1/3 cup)
  21. Tofu
  22. Ice (and lots of it)
  23. Phylum Husks 
  24. Steamed Butternut Squash (a few chunks)
  25. Full Fat coconut milk ( up to 1 cup)
  26. frozen Broccoli ( a couple of florets - goes best with a frozen banana)
Tips:  Goats Milk/products is easily digested over Cows Milk/products.  It's easier on the tummy and less inflammatory!


Love ya!  Julie


Like Goodie?  Wanna fall in love?

Follow me on Instagram for daily inspiration!

Do you love Nutrition, Health and Wellness?  Then check out The Institute For Integrative Nutrition!

What are you waiting for?







Comments

  1. Thanks for the tips. Making a delicious smoothie with a thick, creamy texture is an art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We got a dot com! I have moved to goodiegoodieglutenfree (dot) com - Visit me there!

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com