Friday, February 12, 2010

Tully's Gluten-Free Bakery-A Taste of Magic

 

 
 Inside this box is the GF Brownie, the Red Velvet Mini Cupcake and the Double Fudge Mini Cupcake

I will start off by saying Sweet Success.  This hidden gem of a bakery located in the East Village-East 11th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues in the heart of downtown Manhattan is absolutely divine.  There are no words to express how scrumptious, delectable and magical these sweets and treats are.  I was so excited to visit this bakery which just opened this past Monday.  My friend Lauren who is not gluten free, read a review in the New Yorker and instantly text messaged me to notify me of a new gluten free bakery opening.  She said this bakery had rave reviews and gave me the name and website.  I thanked her immediately because of course I would want to try the baked goods and do a review on my blog.  

When I had gotten home that day I checked out her website.  Tully's GF Bakery.  The website was Southern Sweet with an old fashioned bakery feeling.  The colors were light pastel in shades of yellow and pink.  A perfect sweet confectionary, and all I wanted to do at that moment was to reach into the computer and pull out one of her desserts.  Even in her website they looked delicious.  I couldn't wait, my mouth was already watering!

Tully the owner, creator and baker grew up in Memphis, TN and pursued her culinary dreams after graduating from SMU, and continued her passion at Le Cordon Blue in Austin, Texas followed by taking an internship at the Gramercy Tavern in New York City.  In July 2008, Tully was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and well, the rest is history.  Currently residing in NYC, she has a FANTASTIC bakery.  As my mom always says, and I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, use the tools that are given to you and in return you will receive pure splendor.  That is what I can say about this wonderful bakery.

On that Monday of their very first day, I had toe surgery and was told to go straight home.  My foot was wrapped in bandages in my Ugg boot, but I took a taxi anyways in pursuit of this wonderful bakery that had come alive on it's website.  There was no way I was not going to go on that Monday, even though I was all the way downtown on the west side of Manhattan and had to go all the way east in a $15 dollar cab ride, it was worth it!  I started walking fast towards the bakery and tripped on a crack in the side walk forcing me to almost fall.  Instead I banged my bandaged toe, and sadly could not enjoy the wonderful desserts upon arrival.  I thought my toe would be a bloody mess inside my Ugg boot, so It was a quick visit but a well worth visit.

Upon showing up at the bakery I told the young woman behind the counter that I wanted to write a review in my blog and that was why I had come on by.  I had also told her I too had Celiac Disease.  I had no idea that this young woman behind the counter was in fact Tully herself!  She was so sweet and friendly and so young I was shocked!  She gave me a run through on all the baked goods, describing what each one was and how they were made and I was overwelmed.  NEVER had I been able to go into a bakery and be able to have anything I wanted!  It was all gluten free, and there were so many options!  It was so exciting! There were mini cupcakes, large cupcakes, brownies, cookies and muffins in various varieties.  For me I skipped the muffins and went straight for the pure decadence!  

Tully's bakery is quaint, soft and bright.  The walls are white with a painted decal of a tree on one side.  It's peaceful.  It is perfect, just like a bakery you would see in a movie down south.  It was picture perfect!

I will start with my favorite, that of course I ate so fast in the taxi I didn't get to take a picture of it.  This was a Vegan and Gluten-Free Brownie.  I had never tried anything Vegan, and always just assumed it would not taste so good.  It was one of the best brownies I have EVER had!  In fact I will be serving them at my own Birthday Party in March as the desserts.  It was so rich and chocolaty, moist and melted in my mouth yet substantial enough that it held together perfectly.  It almost tasted like a Chocolate Souffle with a brownie structure.  And Vegan? OMG!  I called my mom immediately in the middle of the street as I chowed down! 

After that I walked very fast to my apartment with the tiny white box of GF mini cupcakes and the GF Brownie so I could have a taste.  There were five cupcake flavors maybe six, but I bought two.  I bought the Double Fudge Chocolate inside/Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing outside and the Red Velvet.  I will describe them as light, airy and sweet heaven.  Heavenly.  Delicious.  Like no other.

And then the Cookies.  She had an Oatmeal version with White chocolate and a Chocolate Chip.  I went with Oatmeal because I wanted variety.  GF Oatmeal can be tough, so I wanted to see what all the buzz was about.  Big, chunky, chewy and crispy all in one.  The outside edges were perfectly crispy, and the inside was chewy, moist and very well baked.  The white chocolate medley with the oatmeal was a perfect combonation, almost surprising.  Unexpected, yet divine.  

Last but not least the GF Brownie, also fantastic and big!  Flaky on the outside.  You almost don't realize how amazing they are going to taste on the inside until you bite into it.  I remember standing in my kitchen as I took a bite and almost fell to the floor.  I couldn't believe something so good was gluten-free!  Let's just say I am very glad I do not live near her bakery, because I will end up becoming a very heavy lady in a very short time span!!  

Click HERE for Tully's GF Bakery Menu and get ready for your mouth to water!

What's great about her bakery and her baked goods, is that you can get special orders done for Birthdays and other occassions, just call ahead by 2 days.  Tully's also offers GF Panini's as well as rotating cupcakes flavors on different days.  You can sit at this lovely bakery at the breakfast bar have a sweet brown sugar lemonade, a cup of coffee or a glass of milk (I recommend the milk)!

This bakery is also child friendly.  Children of all ages gluten free would only dream of having treats as good as Tully's.  You would and could NEVER EVER taste the difference.  I actually think it's better then any Gluten Dessert I have ever had pre-diagnosis.  

Now I don't know if you have noticed, but there seems to be a great lack of Gluten Free bakeries in NYC or for that matter anywhere.  There are bakeries, and they pop up here and there, but barely.  It was grand when Starbucks offered one single Gluten Free dessert.  But then they took it off the market due to lack of sales.  That was a sad day in history.  But there was also only one option.  One dessert for people with Celiac Disease.  Just one.  At Tully's the bakery is your GF oyster!  

And last but not least another fantastic upside to this bakery is that you don't have to break the piggy bank for a taste of magic!  In this economy that goes a long way!!  So what are you waiting for?  Go on and get yourself a treat! 

Bravo Tully!  I think you have created a masterpiece in a decade where Gluten-Free Awareness has finally started to peak.  I wish you continued success!  

xoxo Julie

http://www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com/



4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/12/2010

    I too have visited Tully's Bakery and, even though I am not gluten intolerant, I think everything Tully cooks is the BEST I HAVE EVER EATEN. I have been back 3 times to try more of her goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/12/2010

    i went to tully's this week and can honestly say i loved every thing about the place - the decor, the paninis, and THE CUPCAKES!!! also the cupcake tree painted on the wall is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I loved it!! It was so quaint and sweet, a perfect quiet bakery right in the heart of nyc. It's just what this city needs, and yes I agree, gluten free or not, you could not tell the difference. Clearly Tully had a great baking background to make these wonderful sweets! Spread the word, though I have only met Tully once on that day I visited the Bakery, she deserves the hype. Besides my own baked good I have not found one as good as Tully's. My fav. was the Vegan Brownie. OMG, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, loved Tully's! Yes, it is SO liberating to walk into a bakery, and to know that everything is GF. I feel so grateful for this great place! And-- wonderful blog, Julie. Thank you for so vividly sharing your experience with us.
    -Kat
    www.KaTransformations.com

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts my Lovelies! I want to hear from YOU! xx