Skip to main content

Gluten-Free Watercooler-Markt Restaurant

This is a restaurant that used to be on my favorites list.  It is now on the Do Not Go If You Are Celiac List.  This restaurant, that although wants to cater to their customers, does not cater easily to the gluten-free.  I find that their wait staff is extremely non-understanding of the disease or the intolerance.  It is a shame.  

The last time I was there was a few weeks ago.  Our waiter was horrid.  I left the restaurant appalled, with a vow of never to return.  It is belgium food.  And most of the foods there are fish, stews, chicken and mussels with various sauces.  I usually get White Wine Mussels and a salad when I go, because for the most part, the menu is not gluten free friendly, but I always know I'm safe with this meal.  Regardless of being safe, I always alert my waiter that I have a gluten-allergy.  I explain it very clearly, and I always ask the waiter to alert the chef, even if I always order the same thing.  I want my waiter to know the severity, and I need my waiter to understand cross-contamination.  Because at a restaurant is the most likely place that one would experience cross-contamination.

My waiter was rude.  So above and beyond rude that his speech to me on gluten free, led my mouth to remain open the whole time.  He mocked me.  He mocked my words.  He said "yada, yada, yada" to me, as I explained the allergy.  He was testy, and told me he knew of the allergy and started listing in slow motion (as if i were mentally challenged) the ingredients.  I briefly looked at my friends faces.  They were aghast too.  I looked back up at him, and nicely mentioned, that although he understood the GF allergy, it would make me feel better if he checked with the chef.  He said that he didn't need to because he knew of the allergy.  I said again, that i was not undermining his knowledge , but merely explained I could get very sick.  As I was asking more questions, he walked off, in mid conversation!  I turned to my friends and i said "Am I crazy? or what that waiter just the biggest As*hole"?  My friends both looked at each other and said, no.  He was really obnoxious.  I said I would not tolerate this type of behavior and I complained to the manager.

I am NEVER one to complain to a manager about anything, but I felt that I did not deserve being spoken to in that manner.  I have CD and i'm not ashamed, and If I am going to spend money for a good meal, I expect the wait staff at the restaurant to be understanding and do everything in their power to alert the staff and prepare correctly my meal.

My friends thought that maybe he was studying to be an actor and that might have been his way, but I do not accept that at all.  If you are a waiter or a waitress at a fine restaurant, it is your duty to serve your customers regardless of their allergy, and it would be nice if kindness went along with it!

If you are gluten-free do not bother with this restaurant.  

xoxo Julie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com