Skip to main content

Gluten-Free Watercooler-Serafina Restaurant

Last month I blogged about Serefina's Restaurant.  Serafina, a fine Italian eatery with 5 locations alone in NYC has now spread it's wings and landed itself in East Hampton, NY, Sao Paolo, Brazil, and coming soon Philadelphia.  When I mentioned Serefina in my previous post, I was posting about the Dream Hotel location on West 55th Street and Broadway.    

After posting I received a post from a fellow reader asking if the GF pasta was made with the same water as the gluten pasta.  Erin was concerned there would be cross-contamination.  I have to be honest, when I ordered the pasta from the Serafina location Dream Hotel, I just assumed it would be made separately.  And after Erin posted this concern it got me thinking.  It got me thinking, do all Serafina locations carry GF pasta? and if so, how does each location treat the gluten allergy, and how does the chef prepare the foods, and/or use the same utensils and cooking area and further more, is the staff knowledgeable?!  So I called each location.  I was able to get an answer from 5 of the 7 locations.  I could not get in touch with the E. Hampton location, and obviously being here in NY I cannot call Brazil.  So I emailed the contact person on the website asking my questions, I even asked about the Philly location that is not even open yet.  I hope to hear from those locations soon, and when I do, I will post the response.

Here are the locations I was able to get in touch with...

Serafina-(Dream Hotel) 210 W. 55th Street at Broadway (212) 315-1700
Manager and chef confirms that they
DO have gluten-free pasta. GF pasta is cooked with different/fresh utensils, cooking pans, water and in fact has a separate cooking area all together for gluten-free.  (This is the location I had gone to.  It's sooo worth it!  Click above on Serafina Restaurant for some GF tasty pics)!

Serafina-
58th St and Madison (212) 832-8888
Manager confirms that they
DO NOT have/carry gluten-free pasta. They have a completely different menu then all other locations. The staff was very short with me on the phone. It did not appear that they would be carrying GF anytime soon.

Serafina-
61st between Madison and Park (212) 702-9898
This location
DOES HAVE GF Pasta. Manager and Chef confirm that cooking GF is a "made to order" basis, therefore chef confirms that they use separate water, utensils, cooking pans and a separate space to make these meals.

Serafina-
(Time Hotel)-224 West 49th St. between Broadway and 8th Ave (212) 315-1700
Manager and chef both confirm that the brand of pasta they use for all pasta dishes
IS gluten-free. Their choice of pasta just happens to be a gluten-free pasta (it is fusilli shape). I asked the manager to check and confirm with the chef, and the chef showed her the bag of pasta. Their pasta's are labeled gluten free. However, their home-made pasta is not gluten-free so do not get confused, and yes gluten free pasta is made separately from home-made pasta, in separate utensils, pans, water etc, but know that because it is made separately the manager mentioned it will take longer to cook. (because it will take longer to boil new water)

Serafina-
1022 Madison Avenue at 79th St. 2nd Floor (212) 734-2676
Manager confirms that they do
NOT carry gluten free pasta. I then asked if they would be getting it soon. The Manager said that they don't foresee carrying gluten-free anytime soon. This manager was short, to the point and didn't seem to have any interest in the subject matter.

I hope everyone enjoys this post and finds it helpful!

xoxo Julie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com