**found in December 2010 Cooking Light Magazine
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tbsp. butter, softened (unsalted)
3 large eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
8 ounces of GF cake flour (about 2 cups) (try All Purpose GF Flour)
1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp of walnuts-toasted, chopped and divided
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup maple sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
dash of salt
1 tsp. of any flavor maple syup
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in Vanilla, Increase to high speed, and beat for 1 minutes.
3. Weigh Flour. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon), stirring well. Add four mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined. Stir in 1/3 cup walnuts.
4. Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups; divide batter evenly amoung cups (may amount to more, and if so add more liners and muffin trays). Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes or until a toothpick runs clean and no crumbs stick to toothpick. Cupcakes will look slightly pale. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
5. Place cream of tarter and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Combine maple sugar, 1/4 cup water, and a dash of salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238 degrees. Gradually pour hot sugar syrup into egg white mixture, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread about 3 rounded tbsps. frosting over each cupcake. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsps. nuts. Yield: 12 cupcakes
Calories: 291 for one.
Enjoy! xoxo Julie