Skip to main content

Gluten-Free Watercooler-Lavo Restaurant

Just because you are gluten-free and/or have CD does not mean you cannot enjoy your life.  This is my mantra, and something I always tell others when dining out.  Most restuarants in NYC especially the more upscale ones will cater to your needs even if that means preparing a tuna tartare without the soy sauce or tamari.  And the restaurant will also not use the flour you are so deathly allergic too.

Do not be afraid to eat out.  I have CD and I eat out all the time.  I will not stop my life.  Now, will I get to enjoy all the saucy sauces and the marinades? No, not always, but that's okay.  I love NYC for their nightlife and restaurant scene, and if my plate has to be a bit blander so be it.  I love people watching and chatting and that is really what dinner is about. 

A few months ago I went to Lavo in NYC.  This is an Upper East Side hot and trendy spot.  An anamzing Italian Eatery and Steakhouse if you will with fabulous side dishes and great apps.  I have been there twice.  They are so nice there, they totally understand the Gluten allergy and are always looking to please their patrons.  Their waitstaff is very familiar with CD and gluten, and they always alert the chef.  Sometimes their waitstaff will come back to me after I have ordered and tell me if they can do what I want them to do, or if something I did order does have gluten.  For the most part I am pretty savvy about knowing what to eat and what not to eat, but every now and again I will make a mistake, and lucky for me this restaurant catches them.  Thank you Lavo.

This restaurant is known for their steak.  It is sooo delicious I cannot even describe.  They also have an amazing Tuna Tartare that is to die for and they just prepare it a bit differently then they would for someone else.  However, at this eatery at least what I ate, the sauces were gluten-free...naturally.  Nice right?!

This restaruant is always crowded, and buzzing with a great scene.  There is a bar in the front and a nightclub downstairs.  Their dinners are reasonable, but their brunch will leave a dent in your wallet.

     Tuna Tartare with an avocado bottom and a black olive sauce

As you can see, there is no soy sauce or any gluten dressings on this appetizer.  And it was still AMAZING.  When you go gluten-free you start to realize you never needed that sauce to begin with.

I then shared the scallops with my gal Dina.  At first I was worried, because usually most restaurants flour their scallops before they hit the pan, but lucky me Lavo does not.

The sauce was nothing but fava beans and a vegetable puree with scallions.  Oh they were so good, I had one, and I would order them again in a heartbeat.  No flour thank god!

Save the best for last?  The steak.  I find if you go to a great restaurant, a great steak will be made.  I like mine so overly cooked no one else would enjoy it, but I do and well, that is what is important.  Somehow I have lost that picture, but we all know what a good steak looks like so I will leave that to your imagination.

So if you live in NYC or are ever visiting, I would recommend this spot in a heartbeat.  Why not enjoy life?  You do only live once!

Enjoy!! xoxo Julie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com