**found in Real Simple Magazine, September 2011 issue
Boy I gotta tell you, I got sooo many fantastic recipes and articles from this issue of Real Simple Magazine. Actually the company I design clothing for called 2.bRYCH; one of our fabulous cotton spring dresses made it to the Feb. 2012 issue! Woo hoo!. All I'm saying is that this magazine totally rocks! Such fun stuff between fashion and recipes and crafty projects, you have a plethora of rainy day projects all coming from this magazine.
One of the things I find so hard about dieting is portion control. I can eat the healthiest, and still put on 8 pounds, because I am eating way too much of the healthiest. Ugh so frustrating, but that is why I love articles like this. Snacks for the couch, snacks for your desk etc. Good stuff.
Snacks for the couch:
1. Fruit Smoothie-1/4 cup pineapple juice plus 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt plus 1/4 cup strawberries plus 1/2 frozen banana all blended together. Only 137 calories, 2g fiber, 4 g. protein, 1g fat.
2. Nature Valley Granola Bar-GF version
3. 1 Skinny Cow White Mint Truffle bar-100 calories/3g fiber/3g protein/3g fat-and they have tons of other flavors all at 100 calories and the bars are gluten free.
4. 2 sliced tomatoes plus 1 oz. mozzarella plus 5 basil leaves plus 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar. 122 calories/3gfiber/9g protein/5g fat
5. 1 Banana plus 2 tsp. almond butter plus 1 tbsp. toasted shredded coconut. 200 calories/5g fiber/4g protein/8g fat
6. 1 slice GF bread plus 1 tbsp. low fat cream cheese plus 1 sliced radish. 111 calories/2g fiber/4g protein/ 3g fat.
7. 1 cup blackberries plus 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta plus 1/2 tsp. honey and grated lemon zest. 158 calories/8g fiber/9g protein, 6g fat.
8. 2 figs plus 2 slices prosciutto (cut in half). 144 calories/3 g fiber/9g protein/ 5g fat
9. 1/2 cup cooked brown rice plus 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk plus 2 tbsp. raisins (warmed together in the microwave). 196 calories/3g fiber/5g protein/2g fat.
10. 1/2 package Annie Chun's Sprouted Brown Rice Sushi Wraps plus 1/4 cup shredded/slivered veggies. 159 calories/3g fiber/5g protein/1g fat. **When purchasing the sushi wraps, these are gluten-free, but make sure you do not buy these with the sauces already made. The sauces contain gluten.
Enjoy! xoxo Julie