Skip to main content

Poached Pears in Vanilla Sauce

I am craving all sorts of goodies tonight, so I am going to blog a few fabulous recipes to tantalize your foodie minds.  Besides it's Summer, and this is the time to do the baking, the cooking, the grilling and the eating...

**found in November 2003 Cooking Light Magazine
Calories: 227

P.S.-This is super easy to make!!


Vanilla seeds perfume the syrup, making this simple yet elegant dessert a standout.  Refrigerate extra poaching liquid for up to 3 months; serve over ice cream or pancakes.

4 Cups water
1 Cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
4 small firm Bosc pears

1. Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Add vanilla bean (split and whole) and cinnamon.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

2.  Peel and core pears, leaving stems intact.  Cut about 1/4-inch from the base of each pear so they will sit flat.  Add pears to sugar mixture.  Cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.  Remove pears with a slotted spoon; chill thoroughly.  Discard the cinnamon stick.  Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, and stir seeds into sugar mixture.  Discard bean.  Set aside 2 cups sugar mixture; reserve remaining mixture for another use.

3.  Return 2 cups sugar mixture to pan; bring to a boil over high heat.  Cook until slightly syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup (about 12 minutes).  Chill thoroughly.  Serve sauce with pears at room temperature or chilled.

Yield 4 servings-serving size: 1 pear and 2 tbsp. sauce

Enjoy!! xoxo

Comments

  1. Anonymous6/27/2012

    That sounds really good -- and it's a dessert we can eat. I still drool over the ice cream recipes, even if I can't indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same goes here. Sometimes blogging them satisfies the craving, but not all the time. Ha ha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We got a dot com! I have moved to goodiegoodieglutenfree (dot) com - Visit me there!

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel...

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com  

The Original Fudgsicle Mishap

                             My Grocery Cart About 3 months ago I was in the market as usual,  doing my weekly grocery shopping, in the second to last row: the freezer section.  I wanted my weekly fudge pop indulgence.  I grabbed the package in the backity back!! The most frozen one I could find, and decided to blog this wonderful gluten free treat.  I realized I had never blogged about this fudge pop being gluten-free, and how silly of me to keep this tid bit to myself.  So I grabbed my phone to take a picture of the front and back of the box.  I gasped! omg, omg, omg.  I starred at the ingredients.  MALT FLOUR.  Yikes!  No way!  It can't be.  How come I never noticed this before?  Did the ingredients change?  Was it always like this?  Something had to have changed and then to top it off I noticed at the bottom of the ingredient...