**found in InStyle Magazine December 2011 Issue
Pls note that I revised these recipes to be gluten-free.
If you can make a gluten-free pancake, you'll flip over how easy it is to whip up a large batch of blini, says chef Melissa Perello of the critically acclaimed San Francisco restaurant Frances. Here are her simple savory toppings.
Start with...Buckwheat Blini-yields 40 mini blini
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dry active yeast
2 tbsp warm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
3/4 cup all-purpose GF flour-converted to GF, try Bob's Red Mill
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp melted butter
**remember if you dine at this restaurant, their version is NOT gluten-free. Pls note.
1. In a large bowl stirl to dissolve sugar and yeast in water. Add 1 cup mil and continue to stir. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Sift both flours and salt into a medium bowl, then add to yeast mixture. Whisk in remaining milk, melted butter and egg until combined.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and set aside for 1 hour, allowing mix to rise.
4. Grease a large nonstick frying pan or cast iron griddle. Allow pan to get hot over medium heat.
5. Stir batter, then scoop into heaping teaspoons and drop onto the hot skillet, leaving room between each blini.
6. Cook until bubbles form at the top (about 2 minutes)
7. Repeat steps 1-6 with the remaining blini batter.
Blini Topping 1
Caviar and Chives
1 cup sour cream
4 oz. caviar
1 bunch chives, finely chopped
Serve blini with a dollop of cream, a teaspoon of caviar, and a spring of chives.
Blini Topping 2
1 int cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup creme fraiche
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1 bunch fresh thyme
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
2. Split tomatoes. Lay cut side up on a 9-inch x 13-inch baking tray lined with parchment paper
3. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil
4. Bake until lightly browned (about 30 minutes)
5. Remove and let cool
6. In a bowl mix creme fraiche and zest; season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to form soft peaks, adding lemon juice drop by drop
7. Serve blini with a dollop of creme fraiche, a few tomatoes sprinkled with thyme leaves, and a drizzle of oil.
Blini Topping 3
4 oz. smoked salmon or smoked trout of bluefish
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. whole grain mustard
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1 bunch fresh dill
1. Flake salmon into small pieces
2. In a medium bowl combine heavy cream, mustard, and lemon juice. Whip lightly
3. Serve blini with a dollop of cream, a piece of fish and a dill sprig
Enjoy!! xoxo Julie