What a loaded title right!? It's a little bit of everything, call it fusion for your taste buds. I found this recipe in InStyle Magazine, August 2012 issue, and I can tell you I am a sucker for Gluten-Free fried anything, because fried GF is so rare at restaurants! I can never just walk into a restaurant even one that may have a gluten-free menu and order the fried breaded clams, or the GF fried beer battered chicken.
So when I saw this recipe, I felt it was a must to blog.
For Pickled Shrimp:
Serves 4-make one day ahead
2 tbsp. Old Bay seasonings (this brand is gluten-free)
1 lb. shrimp (about 26-30), peeled
1/4 tsp. ground celery seeds
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. fried red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. sea salt
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 fresh bay leaves, or 12 dry
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
1/2 medium Spanish onion, thinly sliced (A Spanish onion is a mildly flavored yellow skinned onion with yellowish-white flowers)
1. Prepare ice bath by filling a medium bowl with half water, and half ice.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Old Bay and shrimp to pot and immediately reduce heat to low. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink through and just cooked. Plunge them into the ice bath to cool. Drain and place in the fridge.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir.
4. Combine pickling liquid and shrimp in a large resealable bag and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
For Fried Green Tomatoes:
Serves 4 (make just before serving)
12 slices green tomato, 1/3-inch thick (about 3 tomatoes)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill)
3 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup cold water
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup bacon fat, lard, or vegetable oil
1/2 cup ranch dressing ( a gluten-free version, and NOT Hidden Valley ( I have heard way too many cross-contamination stories about their salad dressings, so even though they promote gluten-free and say they are, please steer clear).
1 lb. pickled shrimp (See above recipe)
1 handful of arugula leaves
1. Season tomato slices with salt. Set aside.
2. Find three similarly shaped shallow baking dishes and create an assembly line for dredging: flour in the first dish, eggs in the second, and cornmeal in the third. One by one, flour a tomato slice on both sides, then dunk it in the egg, and dredge it in the cornmeal. Stack finished tomatoes on a cutting board.
3. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat bacon fat over medium heat. Being careful not to overcrowd, fry tomatoes in batches until golden, 2-3 minutes per side. Lay them on a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Set out 4 plates and spoon 2 tbsp ranch dressing on each. Put 3 fried green tomato slices on each plate and top with a handful of pickled shrimp. Garnish with a few arugula leaves. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! xoxo Julie