**Found in December, 31st issue of Us Magazine
Yum! What a treat, and so low cal!!
Ginger Poached Pears with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
3 cups port wine
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 slices peeled fresh ginger
1 lemon, halved
4 medium pears, ripe but firm
1 quart vanilla frozen yogurt
1/4 cup candied ginger, sliced (if you cannot find gluten-free, then candy them on your own. I may even have a recipe on how to candy ginger and/or fruit on my site)
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1. In a medium saucepan, combine wine, water, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and fresh ginger. Squeeze in lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, cut off bottoms of pears with a paring knife. With an apple corer, remove cores. Peel peas, leaving stems intact.
3. Place pears in poaching liquid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow pears to cool in liquid; remove pears. remove cinnamon sticks.
4. Bring liquid back to a boil; reduce by half.
5. Serve each pear with a scoop of frozen yogurt and a ladleful of liquid. Garnish with candied ginger and slivered almonds.
Serves 4, 200 calories.
Enjoy!! xoxo Julie