Skip to main content

Lip Tar-Gluten Free and Vegan Lipstick



For the last few years lipstick has been an issue for me.  I have had 2 coral lipsticks that I have had forever by 2 different brands that seem to do the trick.  These are the only ones I have worn for years, because they were "safe" - A Peach Coral lipstick stick by Chanel, and a old Mac stick called Kid Kat (and sadly Kid Kat stick broke off while applying it one time and landed on the floor, so now I don't even use that one anymore)-these seemed to be the only two I could wear-reaction free.

I tried Nars glosses and wands (those made my lips swollen and tingly, and the following day red), I tried other Mac Lip Glass (Lip Glass is beyond out, it really made my lips swollen) , gloss and wands and even their sticks proved to be a little drying (something I guess my lips could tolerate when I was younger, and now cannot), I have tried French fancy brands, as well as Dior and even cheap drug store brands like Revlon gloss wands (those just made my lips feel chapped (but not regular chapped, like so chapped I couldn't function chapped the following few days).  Geez I can't catch a break.  So for the last few years its been a coral lip no matter what I wore and for a fashionista like me that is really annoying to not be able to wear the forecasted palette.

One day in late November 2012 I woke up and thought F this-I need to go lipstick hunting again.  I wanted to have the opportunity to wear whatever color I wanted!  I had given up but decided to try again.  Everyone likes to feel pretty.  So after brunch one early afternoon I head over to Sephora which luckily just opened up in the Meat Packing District.  I remember someone mentioning Yves Saint Laurent being gluten-free, and knowing it was super expensive, I decided if this were gluten-free, I'd bite the bullet and buy the $35 lipstick.  When I got to Sephora the makeup professional told me it was completely gluten-free.  I was so excited!  I thought finally.  After choosing a few colors, I decided to read the ingredients and found CARAMEL COLORING as a listed ingredient on the package!  I couldn't imagine why on Earth that would be an ingredient in make-up! And crap, now I gotta find another lipstick.  I was so irritated and sad.

**see above the bar code it says Gluten-Free

So the make-up professional led me to another brand called Lip Tar.  She mentioned it was 100% vegan and that a vegan lipstick may be what I was looking for.  I did mention to her that not all vegan products are gluten-free, but as I grabbed the tar tube it said gluten-free and the ingredients listed were completely fine.  Score.  So I bought one pink one, because I had to test it out first before I stocked up on reaction lipsticks.  The lady mentioned that they are more like heavy pigment paste and last for a really long time, you only need a small amount to get the long lasting color, and when I say small amount, I mean smaller then a raindrop.  Because its consistency is more paste like, it is sold with a base which is clear.  You apply that first and then apply the lip tar with a brush or your finger.

After having no reaction numerous times I went back to Sephora and got a few more colors.  I was so happy I bought pinks, and nudes and reds!  They rock, I love them, they were $16 each, but I know that I'll have those for years before finishing them through, so it's worth it.  And so worth finally finding a gluten-free lipstick, because as someone with Celiac I must tell you even make-up will affect you if you have problems with gluten.  


So I recommend Lip Tar.  Its animal cruelty free, vegan and gluten-free.  And it looks stellar on!

So go get it!  Sephora.com!

Enjoy! xoxo Julie
www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com


Comments

  1. Anonymous2/10/2014

    Hi! I work for Sephora. We were told in a YSL training by a corporate trainer of YSL that the caramel ingredient that's in YSL lipsticks is not derived from wheat starch or barley malt, or any grain derivative. Also, because the FDA does not include caramel as a gluten source, the product would be considered gluten free by those standards as well. Just wanted to let you know, you shouldn't have to give up those fabulous YSL lipsticks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    thank you for your comment. There are many ingredients in your lipsticks/glosses that have HIDDEN GLUTEN. I capitalize this because many over look this and often has mystery symptoms and don't know why. According to my research, and according to Dr. Oz, the ingredient Tocopheryl Acetate and Tocopherol has hidden gluten or cross contaminated gluten. This ingredient is also known as Vitamin E. The FDA certifies and approves products that have 20 PPM (parts per million) of gluten. This does not mean the product is gluten free it just means according to the FDA standards it has a small amount of gluten that is 20PPM or less and is therefore acceptable by the FDA to be 'considered' gluten free to the FDA standards. 20PPM of gluten is still gluten. And just because the FDA considers or deems it safe, does not mean it is for all. So where other's may not be bothered by ingesting that 20PPM daily, many do react to even that small amount. In New Zealand and Australia-products must be tested at 5PPM or less, which is also still gluten, but so much less gluten.As for the FDA not including Caramel coloring as a source of gluten, it is a hidden source of gluten and there are many new articles coming out on this topic. But more importantly can you verify what source the caramel coloring comes from if it's not Wheat Starch, Barley Malt or any grain derivative? Can you also comment on the other ingredients I listed that are hidden gluten? Thanks again for your response!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey friends! We got a dot com! I have moved to goodiegoodieglutenfree (dot) com - Visit me there!

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com