Skip to main content

Blood Orange, Beet and Fennel Salad

**found in January 2012 Bon Appetit

4-6 Servings



Our fresh take on the classic Moroccan salad pairs shaved fennel and red onion with assorted beets and oranges for color contrast.

2 medium red beets, tops trimmed
2 medium golden beets, tops trimmed
3 blood oranges
1 medium navel orange (preferably Cara Cara)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced crosswise on a mandolin
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced on a mandolin (about 1/3 cup)
Good quality extra virgin olive oil, pumpkin seed or walnut oil for drizzling
Coarse sea salt, such as fleur de sel or Maldon sea salt, and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro and or chervil leaves

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash beets, leaving some water on skins.  Wrap individually in foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.  Let cool.

2.  Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from all oranges; discard.  Working over a medium bowl, cut between membranes of 2 blood oranges to release segments into bowl; squeeze juice from membranes into bowl and discard membranes.  slice remaining blood orange and Cara Cara orange crosswise into thin rounds.  Place sliced oranges in bowl with the segments.  Add lemon juice and lime juice.

3.  Peel cooled beets.  Slice 2 beets crosswise into thin rounds.  Cut remaining 2 beets into wedges.  Strain citrus juices; reserve.  Layer beets and oranges on plates, dividing evenly.  Arrange fennel and onion over beets.  Spoon reserved citrus juices over, then drizzle salad generously with oil.  Season to taste with coarse sea salt and pepper.  Let salad stand for 5 minutes to allow flavors to meld.  Garnish salad with cilantro leaves.

Enjoy! xoxo Julie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel...

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com  

The Original Fudgsicle Mishap

                             My Grocery Cart About 3 months ago I was in the market as usual,  doing my weekly grocery shopping, in the second to last row: the freezer section.  I wanted my weekly fudge pop indulgence.  I grabbed the package in the backity back!! The most frozen one I could find, and decided to blog this wonderful gluten free treat.  I realized I had never blogged about this fudge pop being gluten-free, and how silly of me to keep this tid bit to myself.  So I grabbed my phone to take a picture of the front and back of the box.  I gasped! omg, omg, omg.  I starred at the ingredients.  MALT FLOUR.  Yikes!  No way!  It can't be.  How come I never noticed this before?  Did the ingredients change?  Was it always like this?  Something had to have changed and then to top it off I noticed at the bottom of the ingredient...