Skip to main content

Tootsie Roll Smoothie


There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether the coconut is a nut or a fruit.  Until this year, it was always a fruit.  Now there are debates on this fact.  I am allergic to tree nuts, and I don't have any issues with coconuts.  Since the debate is up for grabs, I am going with the notion that they are in fact a fruit rather then a nut, hence the reason I consider this a nut free smoothie.

Hemp seeds, often called Hemp nuts, are in fact a seed, so this seed is safe for those with nut allergies.  Hemp seeds and Hemp milk I adore!  I used to ignore these nut free milks when I was a dairy drinker, but when I quit dairy milk, I needed a substitute.  I went for coconut milk and hemp milk.  Since I can't have almond milk (which is so delightful), I sub in unsweetened Hemp milk or Hemp seeds and it gives my smoothie that nutty texture and taste almonds would have.

Stay tuned for my recipe of Hemp milk!  I'm going to make that a little later on.  I can't wait!  Hemp milk with zero additives.  How totally awesome and healthy!!

Lately when my friends come over, I insist on making something.  A concoction of sorts, using my creative magic, whether it be a smoothie or a fabulous appetizer or treat.  My creative soul peaks out when I cook.  I often do not follow recipes, I just look at what I have in my kitchen at that moment and I let my instincts guide me.  I often jot them down after, but then I forget to blog them!  Silly me!!  So instead of forgetting this time, I am going to write down here exactly what I did to achieve the taste of a sugar free Tootsie Roll smoothie.

I took a two week break from smoothies.  I had gotten super sick and the thought of a smoothie was just hideous.  On a normal day green smoothies are my rock,  but when I got sick you couldn't have paid me to drink one.  My taste buds had left the building.  Yesterday was the first time in two weeks that I had a smoothie, and I didn't add avocado, so it was more like a juice.  Today I added a bit of avocado-so good!  I think my taste buds are coming back! Yay.

What I like about this smoothie is that it is not sweet.  I put in just enough fruit so that it wouldn't taste like broccoli, but on a strict Paleo diet, with a side of Candida, I prefer to keep the sugar low which would make this a diabetic friendly smoothie.  Better for my body, ya know?

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 tsp. Hemp Seeds (no you won't get high, and no there is no THC in these seeds)
1 Tbsp. Raw Cacao powder
1 Tbsp. Chia Seeds
1 tsp. Maca Root Powder
1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
3-4 chunks Honey Dew Melon
1 handful Spinach
7-8 thick slices of Cucumber
1 large floret Frozen Broccoli
Juice from 1/2 Lime
1/4 slice Avocado
3-4 ice cubes (add last after all is already blended)
Optional: 3-4 drops of Liquid Stevia for sweetness

**Smoothies are a great way to get your probiotic in!  You don't taste it.  I have a probiotic that is a powder.  I simply add the daily dosage amount into the smoothie.

**When it comes to clean eating and Organic-I strive for half and half.  I follow the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15.    And that means that my cucumbers, broccoli, maca root powder and spinach are ALWAYS organic.  The fruits and veggies that have a protective shell I am more inclined to just get the regular (non gmo) fruits and veggies.  Those are the ones that have a sticker starting with the number 4, which are in this smoothie: Avocados, Melon, Limes

No need to freak if you can't afford Organic, and It's just not your jam.  Use what you have and get those nutrients in your body! : )

In case you are wondering what a large Broccoli floret looks like here is a pic.  You can always even go bigger!  But don't go smaller.




DIRECTIONS:
1. In a Nutribullet or high speed blender add everything minus the avocado and ice.  At this point you would add the probiotic.  Blend, blend, blend.
2. Then add the small amount of avocado and blend again.
3. Then add the ice for your final blend.
Pour and enjoy.

Makes 1 gorgeous smoothie

**If you enjoy a super thick smoothie then add more avocado.  This smoothie is not super thick at all.  For me it's just perfect.

xo Julie
www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com