Skip to main content

Making My Own Paleo Trail Mix

Doesn't it look cutesy and fancy in a cupcake tin? 

Why?  I am so pro Paleo.  I sell it like a car commercial I am told.  And I'm not a sales gal.  I just have passion for the lifestyles that make my clients, my friends, my co-workers and fellow strangers I often chat to feel better.  Including myself!

Because when I make a trail mix with foods that don't inflame my body I don't get tired after I eat it.  Grains, legumes, dairy or added sugar all can make you very lethargic.  I'm sure you have heard people speaking of a food coma after a meal.  And that word has become a trend.  "food coma".  I'm in a "food coma".  I'm having a "food coma".  Whenever someone eats an amazing, star quality meal, it's usually followed by lol, "food coma".  I'm not sure why this is a laugh out loud situation.  In fact, if you are feeling food coma like after a meal that is supposed to nourish your body, I'm not so sure it is doing the right job.  Nourishment should not make you feel tired after.  Refined Sugar makes you tired after.   Grains can make you feel tired after.  Even legumes and dairy can make you tired after.  They all might be tasting mighty good at first, but if you are walking back to work feeling utterly exhausted, or sleeping at your desk, or not able to make it out past your dinner dates-you have a problem on your hands.  It's called-Your body isn't getting nourished.

We need nourishment in order to function in this lovely world.  If we don't get the nutrients and vitamins we need it hinders us from conquering our dreams.  And let's not forget about absorption!!  That is huge.  If your body is clogged with unwanted substances and yes that even includes sugar!! Then how do you think your body will get the necessary nutrients to absorb and feed your body.  Without proper absorption, your body is screwed!  Hello hair loss, thin nails, acne, rashes, eczema, vitamin deficiencies...You probably think I am exaggerating, but seriously?  How can you be your healthiest self, if you are too tired to figure it out?  Think about it.

Since I went back to school for Nutrition, I am all about Superfoods.  Have you heard about Superfoods? Superfoods are foods that have healing properties.  So what do they do for you?  What are the benefits?  What are you going to get out of this?  They are not intended to cure, but they bump up your immune system.  They give you healing boosts!  They maintain stress, provide super nutrients, help skin, make you feel balanced, give you excellent sources of vitamins, iron ,magnesium, vitamin A, they give you energy!! and more!…They are so truly amazing.

Are you ready now?  Ready to dive into my super amazing Trail Mix??

Ok first.  You need to purchase some super foods.  And I bet you are wondering where to get these lovely gems?  Whatever you do-If you want to save money, shop online!!

Vitacost.com is probably the best source quality, price and quantity wise.  I tell you I went to Fairway and Whole Foods to grab some and each bag was at least 12-20 dollars MORE then Vitacost.  And that is A LOT!  Because superfoods are expensive!  They are so worth it, because a little goes a long way, but since they are expensive you want to get them where it won't cost you an arm and a leg.  For example Maca Root, especially if organic, and you really want organic-this powder comes in a bag.  My first bag lasted me 9 months.  At a typical retail store like Whole Foods or Fairway Maca Root Powder can be up to 38 dollars a bag.  On Vitacost.com Maca Root Powder is 18 dollars.  As for Goji Berries, I have had the same large bag for 1 full year.  I bought them on Vitacost.com at 18 dollars, but at the retail stores they were 25 dollars.  So be your own Superfoods Detective.  Know your prices.  Get these online.  Check out Vitacost.com

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
For this mix, I do not use measurements, I go by fistful handfuls.

1 large handful unsweetened Coconut shreds (I love Bob's Red Mill)
1 small handful Goji Berries (1 serving is 14 pieces-use this sparingly)
1 large handful raw cacao nibs
1 small handful chia seeds
1 large handful hemp seeds
1 small handful pumpkin raw seeds
1 small handful sunflower raw seeds

optional: 1 small handful blueberries

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Mix it all together and enjoy

Serves 1.

Enjoy!! xox Julie
www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com