Skip to main content

How To Make An Edible Gluten-Free Halloween Necklace

**Found in InStyle Magazine, October 2010


You don't have to be a gluten feene to eat licorice!  No..out there in the world of gluten free markets and health food stores you can actually find amazing gluten-free licorice!  

For some diagnosed with CD or a gluten-intolerance it was the cake, cookies, pie and pasta that made joining the gluten-free world even harder.  For me it was black licorice.  I love licorice!  Passionately.  I do.  And when I went gluten free and was reading ingredients at markets, I saw the first ingredient in licorice: wheat starch.  Ugh bummer!  Eventually I got used to it, and stopped looking for licorice...but every now and again I would find a random brand at the market and hope it would be gluten-free.  Of course after turning the package over and reading the ingredients it wasn't.  And then I'd be disappointed all over again. I kept thinking why is there no gluten-free licorice?  But alas there is!  And with that gluten-free licorice you can make your very own candy couture licorice necklaces!! Right in time for Halloween!  It's so spooky chic!

First.  The gluten-free licorice.  My 2 favorite brands are Orgran and Candy Tree.  I have found Candy Tree Licorice at Health Smart Murray Hill NYC (they always have their flavors in stock), Amazon.com and glutenfreemall.com.  Orgran Licorice (an Australian brand) can be found at Amazon.comglutenfreemall.com.  Both are amazing and totally different.  Orgran is a molasses based licorice and Candy Tree uses natural fruit juices.  Both taste like licorice.  Orgran licorice tastes more gourmet, but Candy Tree is great for kids!  Orgran is great for the adults.  When I was a kid I hated black licorice.  Yuck.  Now I love it and miss it!  When I buy it GF I eat the whole bag.  Therefore, I only allow myself to have it on special occasions like Halloween.

Then there is another international brand like Licorice International (GF)-Check them out.

Ok so now you have your licorice!  Let's begin the edible craft project:




What you will need:
A darning needle, a toothpick, butcher's twine, half a yard of 1/2 inch wide black satin ribbon, sharp scissors, 27 purple and 4 black licorice sticks (or any colors you desire) and 8 short Australian licorice pieces.
Arrange: Lay out the form of your necklace on the table and cut the pieces down to size.
Assemble: Use the toothpick to poke a hole through each piece of licorice, and 3/4 inch from the top.  Thread the darning needle with twine and string the licorice.  Tie a big, thick knot on each end and trim twine.  Cut the ribbon in half.  Tie each half around the end pieces of licorice and secure tightly.

Now, how super fab is this crafty spook project?  This is from Instyle Magazine from exactly 1 year ago!  Super clever!! Love it!

If anyone decides to make this delicious chic GF Licorice beauty feel free and post pictures of your GF creations!

Enjoy! xoxo Julie
www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com